By Dr Tharini Hettiarachchi
It is much easier to put off a visit to the dentist until there is pain. This may be for a variety of reasons, whether it be our busy lifestyles, finances or reluctance to visit the dentist due to anxiety or phobia.
Unfortunately, more often than not, by the time you experience pain it is past the point of a simpler fix such as a filling or clean. In the end, treatment will be more involved and more expensive…it may even mean the removal of your tooth!
This is why we recommend a dental check up so that we can assess your mouth for work that needs to be done. Once your problems are stabilised, we recommend a dental check up every six months. At these appointments we are able to regularly assess your dental hygiene habits and do a thorough examination, sometimes including x-rays, to pick up on early holes before they start to cause you too much pain or treatment becomes more complex.
However, it is important to understand that dental treatment will not make your teeth invincible. So, it is just as important to develop regular habits at home to look after your teeth and keep them clean.
Please remember the following tips to help maintain a healthier mouth and have stress-free visits to the dentist:
* Brush your teeth morning and night with a soft toothbrush or electric toothbrush to keep your teeth and gums healthy
* Make sure to use a fluoride-containing toothpaste
* Floss once a day to clean between your teeth
* Minimise snacking throughout the day
* Reduce sugar and acid from your diet and have a glass of water after your meals
* See a dentist every six months for a check up and clean to avoid any surprises!
Our friendly team at Raceview Dental Surgery are here to help and understand that patient care is the key to a healthier mouth! Please call us on 07 3202 4566 to book your appointment.