Raceview Dental Surgery
113 Cascade St, Ipswich QLD 4305

(07)3202 4566


Gum disease

My Gums are Bleeding – Is this Bad?

By Dr Priyesh Amin

One of the most common things my patients complain to me about is that their gums bleed. Most of the time they do not have any pain or sensitivity associated with the bleeding gums. I’m guessing that if you have clicked on this link you may be one of the many people to have experienced bleeding gums at some point. Like most of my patients I’m sure you are also wondering – is this bad?

In the majority of cases bleeding gums is a sign of gum infection called gingivitis – and if not managed properly then the answer to the above question is YES!!! This will cause significant problems through life.

If teeth are not completely cleaned then a layer of plaque and calculus (calcified plaque) will eventually form between the tooth and gum. This layer is full of bacteria. The initial sign that this is occurring is the gums puff up and bleed easily – gingivitis. If your gums are bleeding then you must stop this by thoroughly cleaning the area. In most cases the calculus may be too tough to remove (especially obvious between lower front teeth) so it is essential you visit the dentist to get it professionally removed. If treated at this stage the gingivitis is manageable and will cause no permanent damage.

If nothing is done the bacteria (within the plaque and calculus) will make its way further down between the tooth and gum. This will result in damage to the gum, bone and ligament around a tooth. As the tooth loses its support it will appear longer, become more sensitive, become more mobile and eventually get too loose and painful that it will require removal.

So while bleeding gums itself is not a problem. It is a real warning sign that gum disease is present and a professional clean is needed. The dentists at Raceview Dental are always here to help with all your dental needs including staying on top of your gum health. We are also pleased to inform you that if you do have advanced gum disease (mobile/painful teeth) we also have a gum specialist (called a periodontist) who can help.